Skip to content

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
What to expect during a cycle of IVF with a donor egg
Anon_168275 posted:
Hi Everyone

My husband and I are going to start out 1st cycle of IVF using a donor egg. I've had a tubal ligation in the past, plus I'm 43, and my FSH was 22 so the donor route was the way to go. I have concieved naturally in the past but I was in my 20's. My husband is 49 and has numerous issues with his sperm count etc. We originally started back in January of this year with a small group of RE's. I had all the testing needed to start a cycle but we decided to use a larger facility due to the fact that we are paying entirely out -of -pocket and this facility has a higher success rate and more donor's to choose from. My question is could someone tell me about their experience with this? I am really scared of all the meds I will need to take esp. the few months of daily IM injections(if I'm lucky enough to get that far..)I will start with the pill then Lupron SQ then the IM injections. I am so scared about doing this cycle.My husband is nervous but happier than I am at this point.I'm also a nurse so I have heard horror stories about these meds and their s/e's. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

no1phillygirl responded:
Lurking. Welcome to the boards. I had my baby 6 1/2 months ago using de. I have been on these boards for 4 yrs and there have only been 3 of us who used de. We all had babies. I had a chemical preg with the fresh de cycle but had 2 embies on ice. I was lucky to have both survive the thaw and 1resulted in my beautiful baby girl. The ladies on these boards are very helpful. I wish you all the best. The Paif board needs more preggo's.
Marla 42 DH 32 BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
6/09 RE
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 11/09
ivf2 2/10 BFP 13wks trisomy(d

sunflower62509 replied to no1phillygirl's response:
Hi! Thanks for responding and congrats on your new baby girl!! We finally choose our donor friday night, and called the RE who made her aware. We are good to go! Of course, my period is late, so I'm just waiting to get it then I start the pill....If you have any advice or if you can tell me what to expect during the cycle, I would really appreciate it. I am such a big baby when it comes to meds/injections despite the fact that I'm a nurse. I think that just makes it worse! I hope to hear from you soon. R.

no1phillygirl replied to sunflower62509's response:
That is so great. Just take one day at a time. You may have moments where you feel out of control with the process. I did 4 own egg cycles so it was hard letting someone else do the work. I was lucky and didn't have side effects from the meds. I didn't do the progesterone im injections since I had an allergic reaction on the 1st cycle. I used vaginal progesterone which isn't fun but better than the butt shots. . I also had moments when I was feeling the loss of genetics but felt better knowing that this was the best shot for me to have a baby(see my full signature). I'm on another site inspire.com. There is a third party reproduction board where you will have a lot more women who are going through the same thing. I was active on both boards. I am looking forward to following your cycle. Take care Marla.
Marla 42 DH 32 BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
6/09 RE
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 11/09
ivf2 2/10 BFP 13wks trisomy(d

sunflower62509 replied to no1phillygirl's response:
Thanks Marla.I will check out the other site and keep you updated on our progress. It figures that I've had my period every 28 days since I've been 11, now after hearing from my RE that my FSH was 22, and ovaries were more or less kaput, my periods starts acting totally crazy......I'm worried about reactions to the meds also, and the side-effects.Especially mood wise. I've had some issues with depression before so it makes me worry. Thanks again for your advice

no1phillygirl replied to sunflower62509's response:
I have also dealt with depression and I have really had a tough time through 4 losses. Not to even mention the hormone roller coaster. Ugghhh. I think once you get started you will feel better. Go to that other site you will see that there are a lot of women feeling the same thing.
Marla 42 DH 32 BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08. 6/09 RE
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 11/09 ivf2 2/10 BFP 13wks trisomy d

Spotlight: Member Stories

Trying to get pregnant again using Femara and Follistim. Worked once in 2006 when my 1st child was born. I so want another baby...

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.