Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
What to expect during a cycle of IVF with a donor egg
Anon_168275 posted:
Hi Everyone

My husband and I are going to start out 1st cycle of IVF using a donor egg. I've had a tubal ligation in the past, plus I'm 43, and my FSH was 22 so the donor route was the way to go. I have concieved naturally in the past but I was in my 20's. My husband is 49 and has numerous issues with his sperm count etc. We originally started back in January of this year with a small group of RE's. I had all the testing needed to start a cycle but we decided to use a larger facility due to the fact that we are paying entirely out -of -pocket and this facility has a higher success rate and more donor's to choose from. My question is could someone tell me about their experience with this? I am really scared of all the meds I will need to take esp. the few months of daily IM injections(if I'm lucky enough to get that far..)I will start with the pill then Lupron SQ then the IM injections. I am so scared about doing this cycle.My husband is nervous but happier than I am at this point.I'm also a nurse so I have heard horror stories about these meds and their s/e's. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

rosecam responded:
I haven't done IVF with a donor egg, but I did 4 IVF cycles, so I did all the shots, and the Progesterone-in-oil IM injections for a few months, and all that.

The shots really aren't that bad! If your husband is around, you can have him give them to you while you lie on the bed, which is a lot easier (for the IM shots). My husband was traveling while we were going through most of it, so I gave the shots to myself, and even that wasn't bad. It's definitely weird. And it's enough of a challenge that you should feel really proud of yourself for doing it! But it's not bad. If you're a nurse, some of it might even be easier for you. I had never given a shot in my life (to anyone, including myself) before my first IVF cycle!

In terms of side effects - everyone has different side effects. I just really took care of myself. I rested, and didn't push myself. I certainly got uncomfortable during the cycle, but I wore looser clothing, cut out all exercise and cut down on my walking, and I was fine.

I made a lot of use of these boards. Just post as you go - women can help out by sharing their experiences, any tips that they have, or just commiserating. Sometimes even if no one responds, it's just nice to write down what you're feeling.

And just keep in mind what it's all for!
Rose (33), DH (33), DS (1). To Conceive 1: IVF 12/09, FET 2/10, IVF 4/10, IVF w/ ICSI 5/10 - all neg. New RE IVF w/ ICSI, AH and PGS 8/10 - chemical. FET 11/10 - BFP led to DS! Now, TTC 2.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Danielle (30) and my DH, Michael (32) has MFIF. We have been married since Nov 2006. We have been TTC for 3 years with no success. Had our fir...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.