Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
(Trigs) Does hCG level give any clues about 1 vs. 2?
rosecam posted:
I just got the call from the doctor after my FET - hCG is 210! I was just so excited that it's positive that I didn't think to ask him if that means it might be 2. But now I'm wondering. Do any of you know? We transfered 2 blastocysts on Monday Oct. 29, so if that's day 0, then this is day 10.
Rose (33), DH (33), DS (1). To Conceive 1: IVF 12/09, FET 2/10, IVF 4/10, IVF w/ ICSI 5/10 - all neg. New RE IVF w/ ICSI, AH and PGS 8/10 - chemical. FET 11/10 - BFP led to DS! Now, TTC 2.

rosecam responded:
I'm going to answer my own question. After a little internet searching, I found a similar question on the Q&A page of the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" web page. The short answer: no. HcG levels vary too much to be able to use them to predict twins. The author is not a doctor, so I did a little more searching. I didn't find any answers that were as well written as this one, but all the ones I found said no, you can't tell.

Here's the link:
http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/hcg-and-twins.aspx#
Rose (33), DH (33), DS (1). To Conceive 1: IVF 12/09, FET 2/10, IVF 4/10, IVF w/ ICSI 5/10 - all neg. New RE IVF w/ ICSI, AH and PGS 8/10 - chemical. FET 11/10 - BFP led to DS! Now, TTC 2.

KOOPERSMOM replied to rosecam's response:
ROSE....... OMG, yay for you!!!! I am so happy for you. You deserve another little miracle and 2 would be double the blessing!! And you're right, it doesn't mean anything. There was a girl on here a few years ago who had a super low first beta and she had twins and I've seen just the opposite. Were you hoping for twins??
Sarah(36), DH(35), IVF/ICSI 1 DS-Kooper(2 years), IVF/ICSI 2 BFP with M/C at 9.5 weeks. IVF3 BFN. FET 3/4/11 1 hatching blast.

beckyatmoms replied to rosecam's response:
Awesome news! Keep us updated on those betas
Becky (35) DH (31) TTC for over 3 years. MFIF DS(12) DD(5)
IVF1 (Long Lupron) 3/10 BFN
IVF2 (Long Lupron) 2/11 BFN
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

rosecam replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Thank you! Doubling so far!!
initial beta: 210. 2 days later: 534. 2 days later: 1262!
We have an ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday.

We're hoping for a singleton, but we'll still be happy if it's twins. We'll just plan on getting some help in that case!

The two of you remember all those cycles I did before. I'm thinking that our doc in CA is just doing something that works better for me than our doc in Boston. It's kind of crazy - 4 BFN cycles in Boston and 3 BFP cycles here (one chemical, and one too-early-to-tell, but still)!

no1phillygirl replied to rosecam's response:
Rose this is great news. If I recall correctly my numbers were similar. I'm going to look up my numbers. Hcg level really doesn't mean anything except that they want it to be above 50 and double every 48 hrs. I can't wait to hear about your u/s
Marla 42 DH 32 BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
6/09 RE
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 11/09
ivf2 2/10 BFP 13wks trisomy(d

no1phillygirl replied to no1phillygirl's response:
7/20 DE FET 2 embies 6dp5dt - hpt (major heartburn) 9dp5dt - beta 260 13dp5dt - beta 1567

This was what I had. Trigs my 1st tri update was my post from this preg.
Marla 42 DH 32 BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
6/09 RE
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 11/09
ivf2 2/10 BFP 13wks trisomy(d

Yes, it is amazing what a change can do! I stayed with my RE for my last try but we totally changed my protocol and now I have two beautiful little girls

I looked up my numbers - #1 285 (i think it was 11dp3dt), #2 813 (3 days later) and #3 2474 (3 days after that).
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

booklvr04 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Yay! Congrats Rose! Such wonderful news!!! Can't wait to hear your next update!

livelaughmoe responded:
You have graduated!

http://exchanges.webmd.com/pregnancy-after-infertility-exchange
Me 29 DH 30 TTC for 3 years. 4 rounds on Clomid, all = BFN. 1st IUI BFN, 2nd IUI BFN, LAP done- cyst removed, 3rd IUI BFP (CP) 4th IUI 3/19 BFN, 5th IUI 4/16 BFP, M/C @ 6 weeks, 6th IUI BFN.

rosecam replied to livelaughmoe's response:
I'm officially moving on to PAIF. I just had the 7 week ultrasound and saw the heartbeat, so I figure it's time. Wish me luck and a healthy 9 months! I'm so happy, but still so nervous!

livelaughmoe replied to rosecam's response:
Rose, this is wonderful news! Hope to be joining you soon!
Me 29 DH 30 TTC for 3 years. 4 rounds on Clomid, all = BFN. 1st IUI BFN, 2nd IUI BFN, LAP done- cyst removed, 3rd IUI BFP (CP) 4th IUI 3/19 BFN, 5th IUI 4/16 BFP, M/C @ 6 weeks, 6th IUI BFN.

That's great Rose! Will keep watching for your updates
IVF3 (Antagonist) BFP!!!
TWINS!!! EDD 8/23/12

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and i have been married for 10years without conceiving. I was 23 years old when i got married and for over 9 years i have not had menstruat...More

Helpful Tips

NEW HOPE TO GET PREGNANT: Mini-IVF less medicine, less cost and very effective
A new hope to fertility problems for all of us, less cost and very effective, learn more visit: www.nhfc.mx. Hope this help!! More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.