Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
help with diagnosis of kidney biopsey
dselin68 posted:
John, can you help me understand what my findings of my kidney biopsey means? Glomeruli that are globally sclerotic and wrinkled? paramesangial basement membranes that show corrugation? Subepithelial lucencies in capillary walls? I think my kidney doc thought I knew what all this means, but I have no clue

john-skpt responded:
"Globally sclerotic" indicates some damage, generally microscopic, to the tiniest filtering units of the kidneys. There are a LOT of potential causes: drug or chemical toxicity, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, etc.

Corrugation of the basement membrane indicates somewhat similar damage to a slightly different layer of the glomerulus.

"Lucencies" are areas that appear a bit brighter than expected on the images or under a microscope; think of these as a weak or thin spot in the most minute vessel walls.

Obviously the internet can't diagnose anything, but from what you have said in the other thread, my mind tends to favor some as yet unidentified autoimmune thing going on. Diabetes is the most common cause of this sort of damage, but of we eliminate that from the picture, it tends to look autoimmune.

dselin68 replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you. I'm getting worse, and it seems like the latest symptoms with my kidneys are unbareable, pain, blood..etc. I feel like I'm just withering away with not a lot of answers. I just wish they could diagnose me, so I can move on with my life. Be put on some type of medication that will help me. I do know I have an autoimmune disease, a definate for polymyotisis, and a lupus maybe....I don't want to become a statistic, or a person who feels I should of done more. Thats why I'm asking questions. My father died of renal failure when he was 47. He only had one, because he gave one to his sister. i guess I'm getting traits from both sides of my family. Is kidney disease hereditary?

john-skpt replied to dselin68's response:
Some renal diseases have a hereditary pattern, but most do not. (An example would be autosomal or autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease. Obviously that is not what you have. But other autoimmune diseases, like IgA nephropathy, have strong family clusters, but they aren't definitely inherited in every case. They can skip around.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

i have just been diagnosed with kidney disease(Interstitial Nephritis)i also suffer from CFS/ME ,i am aged 50yrs work as a support worker part time,go...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.