Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney spot - What else could it be?
frightenedmom posted:
I had a CT scan for abdominal pain and possible appendicitis. No appendicitis, but an incidental finding of a spot on my kidney. The doctor then ordered an ultrasound, which confirmed the spot on my left kidney. I am now awaiting approval for an MRI. My doctor told me worse case scenario is that it is cancer. However, she said I had a few things in my favor that make that unlikely. I am fairly young for renal cancer she said, (37) and I am in otherwise good health with no typical risk factors (not overweight, never smoked, no chemical exposure, no family history). However, when I asked her what else it could be, she had no real answers for me. I asked about a kidney stone, she said that the size, 1 cm, made that unlikely, it was too big. I asked about a cyst, and she said cysts are usually transparent on the testing, but this was not. I asked what other explanations there might be. She did not have much to offer. She just said lets wait and see what the MRI shows.

Anyone have experience with something like this? Or aware of other possibilities? Any help pointing me in a direction other than the worse case scenario would be reassuring.

john-skpt responded:
There are a LOT of benign renal lesions, more than half of all these things turn out to be totally benign, like angiomyolipoma, etc. Just small outgrowths of fat and blood vessels.

My guess would be that the docs will want to just watch it and wait for 6 months to a year and then repeat the scans. If it isn't vastly larger after several months, they will probably advise leaving it alone.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 54, female. Right around 6 years ago I had a horrible time with kidney stones. I had lithotripsy 4 times within 18 months. I still have a lot...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.