Skip to content


Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Horseshoe Kidney
nicolek1211 posted:
I have a horseshoe kidney & have some problems going on since 2005. Most recent I have loss of function with right sided pain. My doctors keep giving me the run around. Most recent they talked about reconstructing the right kidney because this is the one that is smaller, weaker-losing function and were my pain is at. I had a stent in for a month for the second time. They are also talking about separating the kidneys. Does anyone know doctors or surgeons who specialize in this or have horseshoe kidney????

I just want to live my life and this has put a hold on everything. If anyone has any information I would appreciate.
john-skpt responded:
Sorry but the only thing I know is that there often are 'shared' veins, arteries, and ureters that make separation almost impossible.

I'd guess since they are suggesting that as a possibility that they have done enough mapping to know that the vasculature and the ureters are in a configuration that allows it.

Hope that you get more info soon.
Cathy865 responded:
I had my horseshoe kidney separated in August at Vanderbilt. I had to have a tumor removed and so the urologist separated them first to secure my blood supply. I only found out about the anomaly in April, because of lower back pain.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.