Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Mixed signals! Help!
deanne65 posted:
My story is a long one, but will make it as short as I possibly can.

My story begins in Nov of 2010, when I started having bouts of polyuria. After about a week of this, I went to a VA emergency clinic, and had blood drawn and my prostate checked. Looking back at my blood test results, I noticed my immune profile (eosinophiles, neutophiles, etc) were a bit out of whack, and my EGFR was at 79.8. I athought nothing of it.
I started feeling tired a couple of months later, especially in the morning, but my polyuria was no longer an issue.
Flash to March 2011. I had flu-like symptoms for about a week, with fever. After my fever broke, I came down really sick, and returned to the VA emergency room. My EGFR was a bit higher than in November, but my immune profile and blood sugar were really out sorts!
Since March of 2011, now a year, I have had many blood drawings and urinalysis tests, and nothing seems quite out of the ordinary. However, I am now having symptoms of low grade kidney disease. the following are some of the values that have been more or less consistent for about a year and a half:

24hr CrCl (creatinine clearance) 125 ml/min
Serum creatinine 1.0 mg/dl (stable for over a year)
EGFR Between 75-86 ml/min based on my body scale index
No lesions, swelling, thinning or shrinkage of kidneys from ultrasound analysis
Blood urea 5.5 (3.5-8.5 normal range for lab)
I would add that my liver panel tests came back negative, as did my electrolyte panel.
blood pressure around 110/60, sometimes a little higher, often lower

I have been having some swelling in lower extremities and hands, and i the morning, upon awakening, the skin under my eyes is swollen, usually more on the side that I sleep on.
The nephrologist that I went to told me, flat out, that if my CrCL and ultrasound came back okay, that there would probably be nothing to worry about. I never got a call back about my test results, even when I called his office.

I would add that I am presently undergoing a chelation treatment for heavy metal detox (lead and mercury), and have been told that some of my symptoms might be chronic fatigue from my adrenals.
I don't know how I can feel like my extremities are swelling, and feel tired, and have dilute urine (specific gravity usually at 1.0010, and no higher), and yet, have no clinical manifestations of kidney disease, unless the doctors are not concerning themselves with my early stage disease. The fact that my nephrologist never called back should be a piece of good news. Any thoughts. thanks!

beckyp123 responded:
I think if I were you I would call my nephrologist since he didn't eever call you just to make sure everything is ok.

john-skpt responded:
The lab numbers for renal function actually look very good, far better than 'just getting by'.

It's harder to guess about the WBC fractions (eosinophils, basophils, neutrophils, lymphocytes, granulocytes, etc) without looking at the whole panel over a span of several different blood draws.

What I wonder about is this: Exactly what sort of chelation agents are being used, and what are the potential side effects of those chemicals? Yes the chelated toxins are probably excreted mostly via the kidneys, but by the time they hit the kidneys, they should be quite tightly bound into fairly neutral compounds. Almost all metals are rough on kidneys, and the higher the molecular weight of an element the worse it can be. But you seem to have escaped any serious damage.

So I'd wonder more about the swelling/edema that you report and I'd look at the chelating elements first.

deanne65 replied to john-skpt's response:
Thanks for such a well-thought-out and informative response, John. I am using DMSA, which, along with it being an excellent chelator of lead, it also mops up extra-cellular Mercury. I cannot say, with total certainty, that I wasn't chronically exposed to lead in the past several years, however, given my lifestyle choices, it is highly unlikely.

The swelling is noticeable, but again, given my kidney values, its unlikely that kidneys would be to blame, even if I do have early stage CKD. All indications are that I might have escaped permanent and progressive deterioration. Only time will tell.
I can easily go back over a year and a half to look at my WBC fractional results. My most recent results showed normal, except for a slight decline in my lymphocyte count. Again, thanks for your very informative contribution(s).

Bighamtongrl65 replied to deanne65's response:
I had a severe kidney infection in Oct. and went to the ER, then in Nov. i went to my dr and still had a kidney infectionbut still have severe pain so went back to my dr no kidney infection showed up in my urine but she said i may have a kidney stone too big to pass and this was in Dec. i am unemployed and have no medical insurance and she wanted me to get an ultra sound..... they are too expensive for me so i did not get one. I dont get unemployment because i started school so they stopped my unemployment money.what ive read on webMD i either have a huge kidney stone or beginning stages of kidney failure can anyone give me advice?

deanne65 replied to Bighamtongrl65's response:
I wish you would have had the courtesy of posting your query as a new topic, rather than hijacking my post! I am not trying to be insensitive and rude, however, your post is not a response to my original thread! Please be considerate in the future by starting a new thread. Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I went into the hospital on 4/5/10 for the removal of a large cyst on my right kidney (18 centimeters). The doctor inserted a prob up through the blad...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.