Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Utrasound and kidney dimensions
deanne65 posted:
I had a look at my kidney ultrasound results last night, and noticed that my left kidney is slightly smaller than my right. My left kidney measures at about 9.4 in length x 5.4x 5cm and 1.4 cortex, while the right measures at 10.1x 3.4x 5cm, with cortex measuring 1.1 cm. I have read that anything under 8 cm in length for an adult should be cause for concern, as well as a difference of more than 1.5 between the two kidneys.
The notes on my US did not mention anything about shrinkages, however, it seems that this kidneys do show some significant difference (in width?). Would pathological shrinkage be noticed by, say cortex thickness discrepency? Maybe I am just having a hard time believing I might not have kidney damage from heavy metal toxicity. which I am now chelating to remove.

john-skpt responded:
First: kidneys are never identical in size. The right is almost always smaller due to the space taken up by the liver.

That said, your dimensions don't sound at all unusual. There might be a slight difference in arterial blood flow to the left kidney (if this was a Doppler US, that should have been seen.)

But if the blood test results seem within range, it's probably just a normal anatomical variation.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.