Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
i can't find the answer anywhere on here
An_244469 posted:
have genotype 1 hep c and have just been told i require a yr. of treatment. i had an ultrasound in dec. that also showed that i had a distended kidney,what is that? i can't find it anywhere on here. thanks

john-skpt responded:
Without a few details it is hard to be exact. What most often becomes "distended" is actually the "renal pelvis", this structure connects the kidney's internal urine collecting system to the outside of the kidney and so to the ureter.

This can happen due to an obstruction somewhere, frequently in the uretero-pelvic junction. This little area is where the wider renal pelvis narrows down like a funnel and hooks to the very narrow ureter.

Now that we have done the anatomy, you might need to ask the doc a few more questions to find out exactly what was seen in the ultrasound. And you might want to ask if any hydronephrosis was see (basically urine backing up into the inside of the kidney). It might be that the structure was distended a long time ago, the obstruction is gone, so they are just seeing an artifact of what used to be a problem and isn't a big deal any longer.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
We have an excellent hepatitis community here with a great expert if you are looking for support during your treatment:

WebMD Hepatitis Community

Best to you during treatment!

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Kidney Transplant recipiant two times around !! I found out at age 21,(Living related)thinking i pulled a something in my back.. that i was in ...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.