Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
pregnancy w/ 1 kidney
cierastmartin posted:
ok so ive had one kidney since i was 6 yrs old and im now 18 about to turn 19, i was recently told by numerous friends that due to me having one kidney it wouldnt be a good idea for me to have kids and that if i went through with having children that i could be putting myself at serious risk and the baby...anyone have any information that could help me?

john-skpt responded:
The whole situation, and your overall health, should be evaluated by a high-risk pregnancy OB/GYN, and maybe a nephrologist.

I've heard of a few cases where it was a perfectly successful pregnancy; I've read of some where the outcome was not so good. So it's impossible to make any general statements about it; the odds vary for each patient.

All pregnancies are fairly rough on the kidneys, and some patients with two good kidneys have less kidney function after the pregnancy that before. So it is a risk; just how much of a risk needs to be judged by your own doctors.

mrscora01 responded:
My transplant center did a study on kidney donors and some of the things they found were that women who wanted to get pregnant had no harder time doing so and had no higher incidence of miscarriage or birth defects. You will still need to be monitored, but kidney donors who have only one remaining kidney do get pregnant and have successful families.

Cora

EmmaleighS responded:
I'll keep this as short as possible.

4 years ago I found out I was born with 1 kidney. 25 OBGYNs told me I'd NEVER get pregnant, and if I did, I'd miscarry. My nephrologist told me I COULD get pregnant but it might take some time.

At 22, after 8 months of trying, I got a bunch of positive home pregnancy tests.

My GFR has jumped from 96 to 133 (max kidney function is 140, according to my nephro).

I have had NO problems. I've never had morning sickness. In fact, I'm so low-risk, my OB told me I could swap my care completely to my midwife for a homebirth! All of my tests have come back normal. My baby's tests (I had extra due to y condition being genetic mutation), are all normal and he has 2 kidneys!

Point is: Don't listen to anyone but your nephro. Odds are, you'll do just fine. See an OB when you find out you're pregnant and go from there. My OB would NOT have allowed me to see a midwife if he wasn't 100% sure that my baby and I were safe/healthy enough to do so.

I was born with 1 kidney (my right). My GFR When I first started trying for my baby was 69, I'm 133 now. My OB gave me complete permission to never see him again and to do a homebirth with a midwife. My OB wouldn't even tell us the gender because he was "only" 90% sure the baby was a boy! Trust your doctor, not your friends. Your friends have no idea what they're talking about and neither did my 25 OBGYNs!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.