Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Bilateral Renal Atrophy
mmy2009 posted:
I have been looking up bilateral renal atrophy and can't seem to find any information on it. All I find is renal failure. Are they both the same? Can someone help me out?

John-SKPT responded:
Renal atrophy is a physical description of what the organs look like on xray or ultrasound, sometimes commonly called shrunken kidney.

Renal dysfunction or renal failure is a very broad description of what is going on with the biological processes related to the kidneys.

What neither of these names suggests is what the underlying cause might be: poor blood flow to the kidneys is a common factor that causes kidneys to shrink or atrophy, but even that does not really tell what the root cause is: arteries and arterioles can be narrowed by effects of diabetes, cholesterol or atherosclerosis of the larger arteries in the body, long term high blood pressure, chemical or drug damage, even auto-immune conditions or severe or chronic infections.

So treatment really depends on the root cause that is reducing blood flow to the kidneys and causing the tissue to gradually stop functioning, and that leads to the atrophied appearance.

Lisag1963 replied to John-SKPT's response:
I was dx with chronic kidney disease.now bilateral renal atrophy and I'm stage 3 And GFR is 33 was 36 .11 days apart..so will I need Dyalisis soon?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have PKD. I have a lemon size bulge by my right lower rib. It is a deep feeling pain. After a Ultrasound, CT scan and MRI, I am told I have blood se...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.