Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
kidney mass
mederlet posted:
I was told 2 years ago that I had a fatty kidney mass size 3.2 from an MRI and not to worry about it that it was not cancerous. They rechecked if with a ct scan last year and it grew to 3.8. One year later (this month) had an ultra sound and it is now size 4.2.

Is this serious and will it require an operation or will they just continue to "watch and wait" theory?

Thanks,
Shirl

john-skpt responded:
It's hard to be sure. There are a lot os simple 'masses' of fatty or vascular tissue that show up around the kidneys, and usually they are actually outside the 'capsule' itself, not really 'in' the kidney.

I can see that the slight change in size over the years might worry you a bit, but if the professionals suggest leaving it alone then that is probably the way to go. (If the mass were actually a cancerous thing, then the change in size from 3.2 to 4.2 cm would have happened in a couple of months, not over several years.)

You might want to get a second opinion for peace of mind, but when surgery is the option, cautious and conservative is always the best route.

mederlet replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you for you response. The other issue I am concern with is that where my kidney is it is always in pain sometimes in the front. It feels like a strained or pulled muscle however it has been there for over 3 months and it continues to hurt more and more. After my ultra sound from her pushing on the kidney is when the pain now stays constant. Sometimes just bending over hurts or standing too long. I hike and stretch quite a bit however nothing seems to take away the pain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

john-skpt replied to mederlet's response:
I can't really guess. It is possible that the 4 cm mass is pressing on the kidney (or on an adjacent structure like the intestine), but since fatty masses tend to be quite soft that seems unlikely.

Muscle strain is another possibility (muscles in the lower back are very small and easy to damage) but I can't guess how you can be sure what the actual cause is, other than to keep after the docs about it and have them try to eliminate causes one by one.

mederlet replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you so much for your time in answering my questions. It brings a sigh of relief that it more than likely is not serious. Much appreciated

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

FLUID INTAKE AND CKD.
If I have CKD, should I limit my fluid intake, or increase it ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.