Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Too much information to understand
crbuchner posted:
My primary doctor ordered an ultrasound of my kidneys. I was referred to a kidney doctor. I was told I have a cyst about 1 inch on my left kidney that has shadows, plus I have stage 3 kidney failure. He wants to wait 6 months before he will take a biopsy. He said he would send me a letter explaining all the test he had done. 3 weeks ago......no letter.

My confusion is what is correlation between the cyst and the failure? I can't find anything that on-line that combines the two.

I have had fibro for 20 yrs and diagnosed with Parkinson's last month. I just don't understand. Any information will help.

john-skpt responded:
You're right that, generally, simple cysts are unrelated to renal failure.

So we have to assume that there is either something unusual about the cyst, or that some other condition is responsible for the reduction in function.

Fibromyalgia and Parkinsons are but suspected to have some connection to autoimmune dysfunction, but it's not specifically identified. There are numerous autoimmune kidney dysfunctions. That's nothing but a vague suggestion of a link, but it might be interesting to pursue.

If you have more info from the doc or more details about the sort of tests performed, we might get a bit closer.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.