Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
smoking and kidneys?
newton2325 posted:

Can someone give me background and facts about the impacts of nicotine and smoking cigarettes on kidneys and kidney function? Smoking is obviously a bad habit - but is it particularly, specifically hard on kidneys? (I donated one and thus have only one kidney remaining...) Thanks for any info ...

john-skpt responded:
It's not really the nicotine directly, but instead is the overall reduction in the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and the increase in blood pressure.

Kidneys are the most blood-hungry structures in the body, and anything that reduces blood flow (by tightening arteries, as smoking does) and lowers the oxygen capacity, or increases blood pressure (which can damage the very tiniest arterioles in the kidneys) is not a great idea.

You might get away with it and have minimal damage, but you might not. And you no longer have the second kidney to serve as a backup against long term damage and loss of function.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i have just been diagnosed with kidney disease(Interstitial Nephritis)i also suffer from CFS/ME ,i am aged 50yrs work as a support worker part time,go...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.