Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
INfo please:
Anon_10343 posted:
My doctor did a ctscan for some other problems and it was found that I have adrenal adenoma, what is this, she said it is small spots on my kidney, my aunt died with adrenal cancer and my dad had cancer on the outside of his kidney, she said they suggested another ctscan in 3 months and keep and eye on it, should I be very concerned? I have no clue about this and am so upset over it. she said the spots were small but that I do have a fibroid and this could be some of my problems..

john-skpt responded:
Adenomas are defined as benign; malignant lesions are defined as adenocarcinomas.

Sometimes an adenoma can eventually become malignant, so for that reason adenomas are usually monitored periodically to be sure that nothing is changing rapidly.

And they can appear in various areas: stomach, kidney, pituitary, almost anywhere. Get more info from your doc.

Anon_10343 replied to john-skpt's response:
had my ct scan sent to my gynecologist because of the bleeding i was having and since the scan revealed a fibroid, which i have had for years, which is still there, anyway, my regular doctor said i had a uti so she gave me antibiotics and i havve had bleeding since taking them and havent had bleeding because i have been in menopause for over two years, anyway my gynocologist called today and said she received the scan and that i have an adrenal mass and the problems rent gynecology related, and i should follow up with my doctor, my regular doctor didnot say adrenal mass so i will see her and see if i can find out what is true she also said something with my spleen, i have had pain on my left and back for weeks

john-skpt replied to Anon_10343's response:
The spleen is on the left but it is fairly high up in the abdomen, above the kidneys and behind and to the left of the stomach. It can become enlarged for a lot of reasons: infection, physical trauma, just a lot of things.

Try not to confuse "adrenal" with "adenoma". They are two totally different things (although I suppose one could have an adenoma on or near the adrenal gland). Adrenals are rather small structures more or less on top of the kidney itself. They are glandular tissue, and sometimes have benign masses associated with them, things that are mostly vessels and fatty tissue; there are also some cancerous masses that attach to adrenals.

You need to follow up with the doc to see what the best recommendation is.

Anon_10343 replied to john-skpt's response:
Thanks, my regular doctor is sending me to a endocrinologist, I donot no what this type doctor is, but, since hearing that I had a aunt on my dad's side that actually died with adrenal cancer and that my dad had a kidney removed due to cancer on the outside of one of his kidneys she feels it is best to go this route, thanks for all the info.

john-skpt replied to Anon_10343's response:
Endocrinologists handle most things having to do with glandular tissue, so the adrenal glands are in that specialty. That's probably the best place to go next.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.