Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Fullness of Renal Pelves
An_246688 posted:
During a MRI, "fullness of both renal pelves" was detected. What is fullness of renal pelves? What questions should I ask the doctor?

My primary care physician gave me a referal for a renal ultrasound. Is that the same thing as a kidney ultrasound?

john-skpt responded:
"Renal" = "Kidney". Same thing as long as both are used carefully. Renal derives from Latin, Kidney is probably derived from Old English.

The renal pelvis is a part of the 'collecting system' that gathers urine inside the kidney and narrows down (sort of like a funnel) and eventually connects to the ureter, the narrow tube leading from the kidney to the bladder.

"Fullness" almost certainly means that some urine is building up in the renal pelvis rather than flowing freely toward the bladder. There are a LOT of different causes for this; it would be up to your doc and maybe a few more tests to figure out the exact cause and to suggest what to do--if anything--about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have PKD. I have a lemon size bulge by my right lower rib. It is a deep feeling pain. After a Ultrasound, CT scan and MRI, I am told I have blood se...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.