Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Please, Need some help with lamens terms
dtownsley posted:
In 2010 I had an Ultra Sound done that showed = "5.6cm right renal cyst. Normal renal echotecture. No hydronephrosis. Right kidney measure 11.3cm & left measures 12.9cm." I was not told by my doctor at that time of this. Recently after seeing a mass on a CT, for another issue, I had an MRI done, Findings from that are = "4.1cm x 3.4cm x 4.2cm cystis mass rising from the superior pole of the right kidney. Along the anterior lateral margin of this cystic mass is a 1.7cm x 0.6cm x 1.5cm enhancing mural nodule. The enhancing mural nodule would place this renal lesion as a Bosniak lll lesion." With that I went and saw an Urology Surgeon this morning. Worst experience of my life. Without going into loads of detail, he said that Americans throw money away by doing CT's & MRI's, that if we were in Europe or Canada I never would have had an MRI done. And that since the Ultra Sound done in '10 it has gotten smaller & do nothing but another Ultra Sound in 6 months. Is this true? To me the radiologist saw something to classify it as a Bosniak lll now from what he saw in '10, meaning something has changed other than getting smaller, if that is even the case. With the smaller nodule coming off it that would make it a 5.8cm. Can someone help explaining this to me? I tried asking question of the doctor this morning & literally got yelled at. Thank you

john-skpt responded:
Somebody seems to be overstepping his bounds. Either the radiologist was premature/over-cautious in calling the cyst Bosniak 3, or the surgeon was overreacting to something else and it was coming out at you.

Probably I'd back off a step and go back to my primary for some input. Let the primary look at all the data and suggest where to go next, and hopefully there is another surgeon around that you can consult eventually.

dtownsley replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you for your reply. I have a 2nd opinion scheduled for the end of the month another Urologist. I am fine with it not being a Bosniak 3 & really hoping it's not, but to feel comfortable with that answer I need it explained to me as to why it wouldnt be considered that. Do you have any suggestions on what questions to ask? Again, thank you for your reply.

john-skpt replied to dtownsley's response:
I really don't know what to ask, other than to get more info from the second doc. Find out what this new doc thinks of the radiology report, and of he agrees with that report, find out what he thinks the best thing to do next would be: watch and wait or remove it.

dtownsley replied to john-skpt's response:
I had my 2nd oppinion appontment & it was night & day. He took the time to explain everything to me & answer my questions. He does agree with the radiologist & is scheduling to have it removed. I am a little taken back to have the Dr say there is a 50% chance of it being cancer. I did read this, but to have it said to me by the doctor is a lttle different. I guess I'm a little concerned as my partner lost her brother to Kidney Cancer 5 years ago, but I am hopeful that if it is it was caught soon enough, where his was not. I believe in my heart of hearts it is not & will just keep thinking positive thoughts. Thank you for your time....

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.