Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Renal failure and ruptured bicep.
kt8675 posted:
My husband is a truck driver. He was hospitalized with severe dehydration that caused acute renal failure. They told us that the enzymes could attack his muscles. Three weeks after this happened he was getting into his truck and slipped. He grabbed the hand rail to catch himself and his bicep ruptured. Could this have anything to do with the renal failure and enzymes attacking the muscles? His kidney levels are not back to normal and he has to have blood work once a month to check his kidney levels.

Take the Poll

Does renal failure have anything to do with ruptured bicep?
  • Yes renal failure can be associated with ruptured bicep.
  • No renal failure cannot be associated with ruptured bicep.
vote
View Poll Results

john-skpt responded:
This is sort of a chicken or egg question: are the two connected? Possibly, but not because the renal condition caused the bicep to tear. It might be the other way around however.

The dehydration is very likely the principal cause of the acute failure (and this can take many many months to recover even partial function).

What CAN happen in severe trauma to muscles is that when the muscle cells are damaged, they release a lot of chemicals, blood cells, and damaged hemoglobin into the body and the kidneys have to clean up the surge of elements. This places a big load on them. (Compare what happens in Rhabdomyolysis.)

So I suspect that while the muscle injury might have aggravated the renal failure, I think that the kidneys were not directly responsible for the muscle damage.

Ask the doc to be sure.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 54, female. Right around 6 years ago I had a horrible time with kidney stones. I had lithotripsy 4 times within 18 months. I still have a lot...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.