Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Vitamin B12
Anon_12802 posted:
Does anyone know if high vitamin b12 goes along with a kidney disease? TY

john-skpt responded:
Elevated B-12 levels are rather rare, and may be associated with liver dysfunction or sometimes unusual blood disorders.

I'm not aware of any connection with renal disease.

(I'm assuming that in this case there are no B-12 or multiple B-vitamin supplements being used.)

kay0922 replied to john-skpt's response:
You are right about the B12..I looked at the results wrong, its the folate thats high the B12 was very good...B12 316 folate 25.6.. What could this mean?

john-skpt replied to kay0922's response:
It's pretty hard to get a high folate level (unless a person is taking big big supplements of the stuff): it is water-soluble like all B vitamins, so excess amount in diet tend to just wash out of the body.

It's important for normal cell reproduction, DNA synthesis, and a lot of other body processes. But the amounts required for proper functioning are really quite small. Generally very important to avoid low folate during pregnancy.

There are a few rather rare intestinal disorders that elevate folate, but again, I'm not aware of anything that directly relates to poor kidney function.

We may be looking at this from the wrong direction, trying to find a condition to explain elevated levels rather than trying to find the real cause and working back from that point.

"Kidney disease" covers a huge range of things, from chronic renal failure to pain to kidney stones to a whole variety of urinary tract infections or 'dysplasias'.

What was the doctor's idea as to your symptoms? What are the symptoms, fatigue, unusual color or odor to urine, loss of appetite, pain, frequent urination, changes to skin color, just a wide array of things.

It may be that slight elevations of folate are just a passing thing and doc often consider slight variations like these something to just check again a few months down the road.

It's just very hard to take one single lab number at random and make a lot of logical conclusions about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.