Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Cancer
An_248083 posted:
I am a 59 yo male that has recently been diagnosed with possible Kidney Cancer. This was diagnosed with CT and follow up MRI. Radilogy report suggests Renal Cell Carcinoma within a complex cyst. This was rated as somewhere between Catagory 3 and category 4 on Bosniak Scale. My health is in poor condition. In addition I have long term diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and severe osteoarthritis in lumbar spine, hips, and knees. My Urologist is recommending a partial nephrectomy. Can anyone within this group give resources for either the surgical procedure or Renal Cell Carcinoma? Any and all information is appreciated.

john-skpt responded:
It's a bit difficult to guess, since there are a few varieties of renal cell carcinoma and they vary in the degree of aggressiveness. And since percutaneous biopsy is rarely done in these cases, we really can't be 100% certain what sort of cells are present until the surgeon gets in there.

You could opt to watch and wait for six months or a year to see how the lesion changes, but the urologist is probably going for the greatest margin of safety by removing it sooner.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/281340-overview probably eMedicine/Medscape has the most complete info on the web, though it can be a little technical at times.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.