Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Intense itching
Trying2help posted:
My mother is 87 years old. She has stage 4 kidney disease and congestive heart failure, along with diabetes. The itching gets so intense at times that she is miserable awake and can't sleep for long due to the itching. Are there particular creams or ointments that seem effective. I've read about chickweed cream. Anything else?

Trying 2 help

mrscora01 responded:
Often the itching is due to high phosphorus levels. Do you know what hers is? Has she been checked recently? Try cutting back on dairy, legumes, and nuts as these are high phosphorus foods.

I had this problem while on dialysis (due to phosphorus) and found that the occasional oatmeal bath messy but helpful. I rinsed off afterwards and it was a pain to clean the tub though. She will need help.

Cora

john-skpt responded:
If she is not receiving dialysis therapy, as it seems from your note, then it might be time to consider it. There isn't really a good fix for the itching other than getting the bloodstream cleaned out. Even patients who receive treatment have trouble with itching, though it can get a lot better.

Aveeno Oatmeal bath does help, but like everything else for the skin it is only temporary and usually only partly successful.

Yes, at her age, with a cardiac complication, dialysis is is not easy and it is somewhat dangerous. But unfortunately there isn't really any technique that offers a more certain result.

john-skpt responded:
I forgot to mention: there are phosphate binders to take orally. If she isn't being prescribed something in that category, get with the nephrologist and ask.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single woman, never married with a siamese cat named tika who is 4 (he is my son!). I am a breast cancer survivor (rads ended 4/2) and currentl...More

Helpful Tips

petose kidney
hi i just one to ask a qustion. can ptose kidney be care? if yes pls tell me how am going crazy More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.