Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Dramatic decreased kidney function.
Lesterj5 posted:
Hi I'm new to this website! I was diagnosed with kidney damage about 8 years ago.
Last year, my kidney function was at 54%. As of this year (Oct. 17) my kidney function has dramatically decreased to 38%. My Nephrologist believes it could be from a medication I've been taking. Fenoglide(Fenofibrate).
Has anyone else had this type of problem? And is 38% a not so bad reading?
Also, when you have CKD how much water should you be drinking?

Les Johnson

john-skpt responded:
It's a possibility. You might contact the doc who prescribed fenobibrate and see if there is a different med that would work (though fenobirate is usually used for cholesterol, and sometimes for gout, as a second med added to one of the traditional first-line meds.)

When you consider that anything above about 60 (ml/min) is generally considered 'normal', then 54 is just a slight reduction, and 38 may not be all that terrible if that level is stable and not creeping downward every year. It would depends more on your age, overall health, and other ongoing medical concerns. Renal replacement therapy is generally required below about 20 GFR.

The water question is a highly individual one: kidneys are generally happier with good hydration, but overdoing water intake can in some cases overload the heart and the kidneys. It's a balancing act that has to be tailored to each case.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.