Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
diet for Husband
lturner62 posted:
My husband was recently released from the hospital on a soft renal diet. He has kidney disease, diabetes, and anemia. I am finding it very confusing to plan a menu when what is good for one issue is not good for the other. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

mrscora01 responded:
Your best bet is to find a renal dietitian and follow that diet. If you don't follow the renal plan, you can get into serious trouble with your kidney and your heart. And it can happen fast with things like potassium. Try to compensate with the diabetes as best you can. Is your husband on insulin? That will make things a bit easier. You can find good renal cookbooks on most online book stores.

Cora

john-skpt responded:
Absolutely! Get some professional advice from a dietician familiar with kidney disease. No two patients are exactly alike, so each diet has to be tailored to the individual's needs and test results. Some patients retain potassium or sodium, other patients excrete large amounts of them, some people need calcium, others hold on to an abundance of it. Some people lose vast amounts of protein, others can't tolerate it and must limit protein intake.

It's very hard to find the best balance without some professional help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine and that I would be on dialysis soon. I eventually did e...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.