Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
my daughter has mild left kidney hydronephrosis
An_250428 posted:
Hello,
I just found out that my daughter has mild left kidney hydronephrosis and was wondering if someone can help me understand what it is

john-skpt responded:
Hydronephrosis simply indicates a build up of fluid, usually urine, inside the spaces of the kidney that normally drain out to the ureter and eventually to the bladder.

You don't mention her age, but this condition is very common in neonates and infants, since the urinary structures are not fully developed. These cases often, but not always, resolve spontaneously.

In adults, the cause is often an obstruction to the free-flow of urine: a stone, a narrowing of the ureter, inflammation or scarring from an infection.

There are a lot of treatment options, depending on the exact cause.

mikkimikey13 replied to john-skpt's response:
Im sorry my daughter is 5 and I just found out that she had it and am very worried

john-skpt replied to mikkimikey13's response:
The age helps a bit, but every case is different. If you can, locate a pediatric urologist; things with kids are just very different than with adults.

Depending on whether any pain is present, the rate of urinary infections, etc., those things will affect whether the docs advise treating soon or waiting a few years. As mentioned, a lot of cases just sort themselves out as the body grows and the organs take on their final form and position.

And some additional tests might indicate whether there is some structural problem with the ureter-bladder path that might benefit from surgery or other intervention.

It's just impossible to make any general assumptions. It is, however, probably safe to assume that there is not yet any severe permanent damage to the kidney, as long as the blood test numbers look good, and urinary infections are not very frequent or hard to treat.

Talk to the doc in detail for more specifics, since the local doc has all the relevant test results.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Native to Colorado USA. Old farm boy. Married and have three kids, two married and one just about done with high school. Love to grow and photograph r...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.