Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
High Creatinine Serum and no cause found
An_250558 posted:
hi there,
I am a 37 male, 170 lbs, 6 foot tall was in good health until this episode happened. I do not exercise much and eat a lot of junk food.Social smoker and drinker. Very moderate though. No history of diabetese or high blood pressure. Some times anxiety causes high bp around 140 by 90 in doctor's office. At home the bp is around 130 by 80.

Ok here is my story. In Nov 2011, I had some pain on my right flank side, just below the kidney area and lower back. The pain was more like spasm than an actual pain. It used to travel down the thigh as well. I went to see my PCP and he ordered routine tests with CT scans. All came normal. Creatinine was 1.0. The pain sort of went away after a few weeks and I was too busy with life to think about this and thought I am being paranoid.

In Jan 2013, I had the same exact episode and continued for a few weeks. I went to my doctor and he ordered the same tests and this time all was normal again. CBC's, LFT's, All Kidney functions such as Urea, Uric Acid, eletrolytes etc. The only thing that was not normal was a creatinine of 2.1. My Doctor could not believe that this is a correct reading. So he re ordered same day. He also asked me to stay in hospital. I was now in the ER room with my blood being monitired every 8 hours, bp checks.New CT scan, Ultra sound ....ECG...TSH, ...H1B1(diabetese I guess(...I mean they did all the basic tests required at that stage. Only thing that was abnormal was a creatinine of 2.1. It stayed at 2.1 for 1 week. I was asked to go home and come back in 1 week. Next week the creatinine was 1.6 and a week after that 1.3. 1 Month after this episode the creatinine went back to 1.0. All possible causes such as rhabdomylosis, drug induced injury, dehydration were discussed but finally no diagnosis was given. It was stated that I had an acute renal injury and no cause is found!! They also did creatinine clearance test and found my GFR around 62% with creatinine serum of 1.3. I was told to take break from work and enjoy life....

Well, I was not well after all these episodes. Even though no cause was found, I started to feel that my BP was high. I bought a home BP kit and checked my BP daily. Its always around 130/80 at rest. I sometimes again have these pains on both flanks and lower back. Doctor in the hospital suggested it was muscular pain. Anyways, I got another test done 2 weeks back in early Feb and found that my creatinine was holding at 1.0. Then suddenly last week I did another test(was sooo paranoid as I had this back pain again) so I found my creatinine now at 1.3. I did not share this new information with my Doctor as he thinks there is nothing wrong with me. All lab tests were done from one lab and it is considered one of the best labs in town.
Has anyone ever gone thru this kind of kidney disorder *if its is a kidney disorder*??? I am soo worried that this could really be a PKD. By the way I have seen 3 nephrologists and 2 PCP's. All seem to have no clue as to why this has happened, Response will be appreciated.

john-skpt responded:
Bear in mind that creatinine is a by-product of protein breakdown, specifically muscle breakdown, and this could come from muscle stress, physical exertion, eating a lot of high protein foods, rhyabdomyolysis (eliminated by tests in your case, but it illustrates the point that any cause of protein destruction can elevate creatinine).

I don't have any specific guesses as to the cause in your case, but keep that muscle/protein breakdown thing in mind when considering possible causes in your everyday life. You might come up with a plausible answer by noticing something at home that the docs didn't see in the hospital where activity is hardly the usual routine.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.