Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
2 Ureters in Right Kidney with blockage
jbnfamily posted:
Good afternoon,
To give you a little background, I went to the hospital in November for what i thought was my appendix. It was in fact my kidney. I have two ureters in my right kidney and one is partially blocked causing me constant back pain, uti's etc. I wanted to see how common this was and if anyone else is going through this. I have seen a urologist however I no longer have insurance so I am unable to have the necessary x-ray done to further my treatment. Is anyone else dealing with a situation similar to mine and if so how was yours resolved.

John-SKPT responded:
It's not all that rare. One study showed duplicate ureters in 3 of 50 subjects, but it might actually be more common than that.

Unfortunately the preferred treatment is surgical. One is almost always smaller than the other, and the smaller one tends to block more and cause more trouble. So the best option is usually to remove the smaller structure. In a few cases the problem ureter can be injected with a substance that more or less completely closes it off so that built up urine and infections do not develop.

In your case there might be a small stone in the ureter, but I suspect that the more likely cause of the pain is inflammation and potential infection.

It really does need evaluation by a urologist and probably needs treatment at some point.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.