Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
how can I lower the creatine levels in the kidneys..
An_251064 posted:
My stepfather needs a heart transplant and is trying to get cleared to be put on the waiting list for a new heart. His doctor said his kidneys have high levels of creatine and this is causing them to not function normally and this may make him ineligible to be put on the waiting list for a new heart.. We need to know what we can do to help him lower those levels so he can get his new heart.....thank you for any help you can give us

john-skpt responded:
The elevated creatinine levels are actually the result of poor kidney function, not the cause of it.

It's a complex question, since coronary insufficiency alone can reduce kidney function. If that was the case, a new heart might actually improve kidney function and lower the creatinine levels. (But that sounds like a catch-22 thing: the heart might improve the kidneys, but you can't get the heart without better kidneys. So the docs must think that another reason exists in his case.)

The kidneys also could have been slowly damaged by diabetes, high blood pressure, medications, or simply by age. And we don't know the reason, so it's hard to guess what might improve the creatinine numbers.

At times, reducing the total protein intake can make the creatinine numbers appear to be better, but you really should try that only with a doctor's advice, since without medical advice, you might actually make things worse.

Sorry but I really can't guess without knowing more about his overall condition: age, height, weight, blood pressure, lab values, other health conditions, and what exactly is wrong with the heart. Obviously the doc knows all that information, but it's just hard to know what to say on the internet without knowing more specifics.

Best of luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

before birth my gr grandson was Dx with grade 5 reflux bilaterally since then he has had 2 VCUG and renal scans he is 19 months old now and no improve...More

Helpful Tips

petose kidney
hi i just one to ask a qustion. can ptose kidney be care? if yes pls tell me how am going crazy More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.