Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
heart failure and kidney function
mowens2 posted:
A few weeks ago a urinalysis showed I had a level 50 protein in my urine. Since then I have had severe fluid retention and was diagnosed with heart failure. One doctor says mild, another says you either have heart failure or you don't, like being pregnant.

While I was in the hospital, the creatinine level in my blood was 1.42. I was on strong diuretic at this time to help get rid of the fluid. I am out now and take 80mg of Lasix. I am trying to make sense of what this all means. Is there mild heart failure and does it affect the kidneys?
Thanks for any help.

john-skpt responded:
Pregnancy is always an additional stress on the kidneys.

The slight rise in serum creatinine could be due to the extra stress of pregnancy; it might also be due to slight dehydration from the 80 mg of Lasix.

As for the 'heart failure' question, I can't answer that. But kidneys are the most highly vascular organs in the body, so heart, veins, and kidneys are almost always linked. The trouble is that either one can affect the others. A weak heart and artery system can reduce the effectiveness of the kidneys, but a damaged kidney can change the function of the heart.

1.4 creatinine is not really all that high, especially during pregnancy. I'd still ask your obstetrician or your primary doc if you should be evaluated by a cardiologist, a nephrologist, or both.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.