Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
non functioning kidney
An_251170 posted:
I was born with one non functioning kidney. It wasnt formed completely. Recently a cyst formed on it. I have had MRI's and the kidney is shrinking. I am not in any pain. I can feel it occastionally pulling or stretching. What is your opinion on this.

John-SKPT responded:
Almost always, "simple" renal cysts are just left alone unless they cause pain. It's actually a fairly significant surgery to remove a cyst unless there is a specific reason to do so.

If he did not already, the doc will probably suggest monitoring via ultrasound every few months to be certain that the cyst is not growing rapidly.

"Complex" cysts are often monitored closely at frequent intervals before a decision whatever to remove is made. (The radiology reports should make some mention over whether this one is simple or complex.

An_251340 responded:
I was born with one non functioning kidney. It wasnt formed completely. Recently a cyst formed on it. I have had MRI's and the kidney is shrinking. I am not in any pain. I can feel it occastionally pulling or stretching. What is your opinion on this.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.