Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Cyst / Calcification
azfirefitergrl posted:
I had an abdominal ultrasound done and it came back showing an apparent small cyst in the upper pole of the left kidney, with a calcification in or adjacent to its posterior wall. What exactly does that mean? And what should I expect next?

John-SKPT responded:
Most simple renal cysts are just left alone, and monitored over a span of years to make sure that they aren't changing rapidly. If a cyst is causing pain, then the doc might advise removing it.

The calcification can have a number of causes from a lot of different health conditions, and can affect everything from arteries to lean muscle tissue. Your doc needs to make a guess as to the cause and extent because he has your entire health history and the images to base it on.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.