Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Creatinine and Microalbumin
Doug460 posted:
I am somewhat concerned about Kidney Blood Tests I have had done recently. First a little background, I had my left kidney removed in January. This was due to small cell kidney cancer. The margins and lymphnodes were clear. I am somewhat afraid from my Creatinine level today being 1.72, which my oncologist says that indicates the right kidney has not fully taken over the work load. Then on the last urinalysis the microalbumin level as 38. I have heard those two are indications of kidney function but I do not know in what regard.
Hopefully someone can tell me in what regard those two numbers indicate decreased kidney function. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

john-skpt responded:
Microalbumin is generally used as a very early marker of renal disease, particularly in diabetic patients.

We have to assume that your serum creatinine would jump after the nephrectomy: your working with 30-50% less tissue very suddenly, overnight really.

Compensatory hypertrophy, increased size and nephron number in the remaining kidney, can take far longer than 3 or 4 months. Sometimes it continues slowly for a year or more.

So I wouldn't panic unless the serum creatinine is climbing steadily over the next 4 to 6 months. And it never gets back to 100% of what it was before; 65-75% of the previous level is often cited as the best you can get.

So give it time, and ask your doctor for more details (maybe a nephrologist not the oncologist),

Spotlight: Member Stories

I found out that I had been blessed with 2 kidneys that were the size of a preemie baby and not fully functioning. I found out that I was in serious t...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.