Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Fifth Stage Kidney Failure
An_251570 posted:
I have a friend who has asked me to find out what this is. That is what she has been told she has.

Gillian77 responded:
This means that she is End Stage Renal Failure. She should be in close contact with a Nephrologist and dietician. Your friend should be discussing methods of dialysis and diet with her doctor and she needs to be monitored closely through blood lab tests. Her doctor should be answering questions with regard to what to expect when diagnosed with renal failure.

I hope this helps. I was diagnosed back in 1996 and was successfully kidney transplanted in 1999. This is not a death sentence however with adjustments and close contacts with her doctors your friend will live a long. It will just be a "new normal" for her. Please tell her to educate herself on the illness, talk with a lot of folks going through dialysis and transplantation. She will need you for emotional support so be the friend that you would need if you were given the diagnosis. Expect nothing from her just be a good listener and support for your friend. She can do it! I did and I am no one with any particularly strong will power. Good luck

JudyEB replied to Gillian77's response:
Thank you SO MUCH!! You are a wonderful resource. My best wishes with your kidneys. My friend is 84 years old, so that may change expectations a bit. JudyEB

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single woman, never married with a siamese cat named tika who is 4 (he is my son!). I am a breast cancer survivor (rads ended 4/2) and currentl...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.