Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
had kidney cancer and having pain in the only kidney
ohsheliatoo posted:
I am having pain in my back near my kidney and running a fever, went to the ER cause the pain was so bad and they did a CT scan and blood work. I had a bladder infection a few weeks ago and have been on Bactrim and they said it was clear. The only thing that showed up on CT scan was that I have a large ventral hernia in the small and large bowel. They gave me Dilaudid 1 mg and this helped for 2 hrs and they have me another mg. I had a low grade fever and they didn't tell me anything. I'm worried because this is the same hospital that said I had kidney stones when I had kidney cancer. So I don't trust hospitals to much. Also dealing with high blood pressure that meds aren't working. Help!

john-skpt responded:
Do you have a doctor that you trust, a urologist, an oncologist, maybe a gastroenterologist?

Pains in the abdomen on their own are just not good indicators of the real source of a problem. The herniated are could be the cause, and could eventually (and suddenly) become quite dangerous, but so are other muscle tears, and I suppose that a recurrence of a mass might have happened (though with the CT done and no sign of it, that seems less probable).

But I wouldn't ignore it or just try to get by with pain killers. Whatever is the cause, you need some medical help to trackit down. And that probably isn't going to come from the ER; they just don't have the time or the staff to do detailed and thoughtful diagnostic work.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.