Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

    Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
    Kidney masses
    An_251817 posted:
    My relative was recently diagnosed with kidney failure, and the nephrologist says she has a few masses in one kidney. He wants her to see a urologist. I am confused. I thought urologists dealt with the bladder and other urinary structures/functions and nephrologists dealt with the kidneys. The nephrologist also stated they would probably need to remove the affected kidney. Is there no other way to determine if these masses are malignant?
    john-skpt responded:
    Nephrologists deal with all the complex biochemical process of the kidneys, everything from signalling bone marrow how many red blood cells to produce to blood pressure. Urologist deal with the physical structures of the whole urinary system, but not the body chemistry is controls.

    The reason that percutaneous needle biopsy is often not used for kidneys is this: because of the texture of renal tissue and the location of the organs, there is a risk that---should the mass be malignant---there is a chance of spreading a few random cells around in the abdomen, and that poses a chance of creating metastatic problems where there was none before.

    It's a case by case judgement for the urologist and the oncologist.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I found out that I had been blessed with 2 kidneys that were the size of a preemie baby and not fully functioning. I found out that I was in serious t...More

    Helpful Tips

    I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
    I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.