Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney masses
An_251817 posted:
My relative was recently diagnosed with kidney failure, and the nephrologist says she has a few masses in one kidney. He wants her to see a urologist. I am confused. I thought urologists dealt with the bladder and other urinary structures/functions and nephrologists dealt with the kidneys. The nephrologist also stated they would probably need to remove the affected kidney. Is there no other way to determine if these masses are malignant?

john-skpt responded:
Nephrologists deal with all the complex biochemical process of the kidneys, everything from signalling bone marrow how many red blood cells to produce to blood pressure. Urologist deal with the physical structures of the whole urinary system, but not the body chemistry is controls.

The reason that percutaneous needle biopsy is often not used for kidneys is this: because of the texture of renal tissue and the location of the organs, there is a risk that---should the mass be malignant---there is a chance of spreading a few random cells around in the abdomen, and that poses a chance of creating metastatic problems where there was none before.

It's a case by case judgement for the urologist and the oncologist.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I found out that I had been blessed with 2 kidneys that were the size of a preemie baby and not fully functioning. I found out that I was in serious t...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.