Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
GFR
makewal posted:
my wife's tests have shown GFR of 32 for last three years. She feels pretty good, not tired or anything like that. any comments

Vickie79 responded:
GFR every test they do on me comes back as >60 and I have cysts in my right kidney now I am having sharp pains in my side about where my kidney is located. My Drs. don't want to do anything about any of this, is there something I should be asking them? I also get a lot of mri's, cts, mras, and they insist on using dye, when I tell them what I just explained above. I am so afraid I am going to be on dialysis way to soon. I don't have a kidney dr so what should I do, any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks Tina

john-skpt replied to Vickie79's response:
Tina: eGFR or >60 essentially means "no worries at all". What is important to understand about GFR is that the numbers are NOT on a zero-100% scale. GFR is measured as ml/min x 1.72, so you can't think of the results ae percentages.

Cysts do not always affect renal FUNCTION. Yes they can swell and cause pain, but a few simple cysts do not displace enough healthy tissue to seriously affect renal function.

Now, with all that said, renal cysts DO deserve evaluation. Most simple cysts are benign, they can come and go over time. On the other hand, some 'complex' renal cysts may be precancerous, and so these need to be watched very closely.

I think that the docs must feel that a dose of IV contrast would not be dangerous to you or else they would not recommend it. It is of course, your choice to accept or refuse the use of contrast. But it may be hard to completely dismiss the cysts are benign without some minimal use of IV contrast.

Biopsy or partial excision of a cyst is not a good idea, since even simple cysts often recur after excision or aspiration. And the kidneys are never easy to get at surgically. It's a big deal.

The only reason for removing part of all of a healthy kidney is cancer, or something similarly dangerous, or severe Polycystic Kidney Disease in which case the cysts have nearly displaced all of the functioning tissue. Generally pain, if it is really coming from renal cysts is treated with drugs not surgery.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

petose kidney
hi i just one to ask a qustion. can ptose kidney be care? if yes pls tell me how am going crazy More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.