Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Nutcracker Syndrome??
AtLASTaDIAGNOSIS posted:
I was diagnosed with Posterior Nutcracker Syndrome last week. My Doctor is working with the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, where I will hopefully have surgery to fix this very painful issue. It took 13 months to get this diagnosis, along with multiple hospital stays. Has anybody out there gone through this surgery or even heard of Nutcracker Syndrome? Any information would be very helpful.
Thank you!

john-skpt responded:
I;ve heard of it. As you probably already know, it is a condition that causes two veins near, but outside, the kidney wrap over and cross over the superior mesenteric artery, and rarely, the ureter.

The fix is always surgical, but seems to be statistically fairly successful. Because the anatomy of every case varies, each case must be decided on an individual basis.

AtLASTaDIAGNOSIS replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank or the reply, John-SKPT. I have read that Nutcracker Syndrome is rare, but can't find any stats. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find statistics? Thank you again!

john-skpt replied to AtLASTaDIAGNOSIS's response:
That may be because not all cases are symptomatic, and because of the wide range of variation between individuals:

"Because of the variability of symptoms and absence of consensus on diagnostic criteria, the exact prevalence of NCP is unknown but may be slightly higher in females.1 ,29 -31 Patients' age can range from childhood to the seventh decade of life, but most symptomatic patients are in their second or third decade of life; there may be a second peak of NCS in middle-aged women.3 Nutcracker phenomenon is not a hereditary phenomenon, although coincidental cases in siblings have been described." -- Kurlinski and Rooke, Mayo Clin Proc. 2010 June; 85(6): 552—559.

Takeyama, Bhatt, and Dogra said more or less the same thing in Appied Radiology, 2012;41(11):36a-36c.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.