Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
What do these terms mean?
M4King posted:
I have a couple questions about what these terms mean. After a trip to the ER, I was told I was having issues with my kidneys. It didn't sound too severe though. I need help understanding what these terms are...chronic kidney disease less than 60 ml/min/1.73 sq.m and Kidney failure less than 15 ml/min/1.73m2?

john-skpt responded:
The terms that you cite are "categories" of severity of chronic renal failure. "Chronic"--as opposed to "acute"--tends to occur very slowly, over decades, and is generally progressive and irreversible. In chronic renal disease the goal is to stabilize it where it is and reduce or delay future losses of renal function. There really is no "cure", instead there is 'management'.

One standard scale to estimate residual renal function is the Glomerular Filtration Rate (or GFR, and, recently, estimated GFR or eGFR. "Estimated" is obviously less accurate, but it is fast and cheap.)

Less than 60 ml/min/1.73 indicates very very slight reductions in renal function. Most labs mark this as "Stage 1" though the categories are always changing; for example some labs now use a Stage 3 as well as a Stage 3A and 3B. Above 60 is considered insignificant, or normal. So you aren't starting out with a 40% deficit. It is not a 0-100 scale. It's really a 15-60 scale,

Less than 15 ml/min is often categorized as "End Stage Renal Disease, ESRD. This does not mean the impending end of life, it means that without medical intervention--dialysis or transplant--the patient will eventually die. So the "End" is really the end of any useful renal function.

Hope that helps.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our youngest son went to the er for a concusion and 8 hours later we were going through testing for his kidney. At first dr's thought after he hit...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.