Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Protein loss
An_252074 posted:
Hi, my brother is suffering from protein loss, and it is 2.4%. He is 39 and is heavy but not too heavy. Not married. He is suffering for 4 months and there is no improvement. His legs are swelling due to water in his body. Sometimes his legs becoming so stiff that he just cannot sit and sleep, but it seems standing might giving him some relief. He is taking medicines like Dytol (not exact) for passing Urine. That is making him suffer a lot of stiffness in muscles. Doctors suggested for a Biopsy of Kidney. He'll be on it in couple of days. He is fine and doing his daily tasks but suddenly falling sick. What I'm going to have in the biopsy report? What I can do for my brother to help him recover faster? Suggest good diet too. Thanks in advance Have a great health

john-skpt responded:
A biopsy is a good start, since there are dozens of causes for protein loss, from high blood pressure to autoimmune conditions. The biopsy should give some strong suggestions of one cause over another.

Diet is a matter for the doctor, prefereably a nephrologist. Some patients are placed on a protein restricted diet, others are encouraged to consume more protein to replace what is being lost through urine. It has to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

I would suggest staying away from any over the counter medications unless it has been suggested by a legitimate doctor: some of them do nothing, and some do more harm than good.

Swelling in the extremities is common, but again there may be several reasons for it: the kidneys might not be functioning correctly to maintain fluid balance, but in other cases the body tries to hold on to extra water in order to replace lost protein.

It's just not yet clear what is the best way to go. Hang on for the biopsy results.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.