Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
CHILDREN NEPHROTIC SYNDROME
harlene25 posted:
hi to everyone here, and to all the doctors!
i have a son, he has 1 1/2 years old now, who has suffering this kind of illness, i was worried bout my son, beacuse he is my only child, the first time i was saw all his swelling when he turn 1 year and 6 month old, first symptoms was swelling all over his eyes, and then the nxt day, i was notice his tummy are already over in size, and then his balls are not normal, and both of his legs are swelling also, so thats why i decide get in the hospital to make an examination for this problem, many test and laboratories will be did, to know the results, ultrasound to his kidney, urine test, blood test, now i know my son has suffering to this kind of deasses, after all test my son was admit to the hospital for almost 7days, he gave a traement like albumin, predisone. i was first to this kind of illness so i dont know what to do, ill just follow all the advice of his doctors, i notice he has a good development after the doctors give all his treatment, all are swelling are done to his eyes, and legs and also to his balls, and his stomach are ok in size, then the doctors give us a signal to go home, so that meaning my son was already ok, but the following few days satyed here at home, i notice the swelling appear again, but if i give the medicine advice to his doctors the swelling are done, i just wanted to ask, is this forever my baby take all this medicine when the swellin attack again?? if this kind of illness can be cure or not?? i was hopeless mom, i have so many research that i have, just wanna know about this situation, please help me! thank you,, i need an answer, pls, help!

john-skpt responded:
I can't tell you anything specific, because every patient reacts differently to treatment. But it is not unusual for nephrotic syndrome to have periods where it will clear up after treatment, stay calm for a span of time, then recur. Several courses of medication may be required when it gets worse, then the medications can be withdrawn when the condition resolves, but it can recur again after a span of time.

The doctors who have all the test results and information from the ;patient have to make these decisions because they are the only ones with the most recent information. There is not a single pattern that applies to every patient.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine and that I would be on dialysis soon. I eventually did e...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.