Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
kidney donor problems
sunny19602004 posted:
I am a kidney donor of 9 yrs. but have recently started having some issues. what would be a normal reading of the GFR, BUN, and creatinine for me? and by the way, there is not and never will be any regret for the gift that I gave regardless of my situation now. this man got to see his daughter graduate, then walked her down the aisle to get married and held his first grandson. so all those moments mean a lot to me. no, he is not related, is a friend that I worked withs husband. thanks. hope someone has some ideas for me.

mrscora01 responded:
Have you been followed over the years? My center follows yearly my cousin who gave me a kidney. She just has to send in her labs done locally once per year. Have your levels been changing? I would definitely see a nephrologist if you have any issues.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what the "normal" levels should be if you only have the one remaining kidney. They may be slightly different from the normal levels found in folks with two fully functional kidneys.

Cora

sunny19602004 replied to mrscora01's response:
thanks for your reply. I have talked with my family dr who seems to think I don't need to go to a nephrologist but my numbers I believe will increase somewhat due to having only 1. but I have no idea what is good numbers and what isn't

sunny19602004 replied to mrscora01's response:
thank you for replying. I don't see a reg nephrologist mainly because my dr doesn't think its necessary but I just want some info on what is good numbers and what isn't. thank you for your thoughtfulness tho.

mrscora01 replied to sunny19602004's response:
It varies a little bit depending on your lab, but if you get to look at your results, they will show an acceptable range. My transplant clinic considers any creatinine below 1.3 (115 in numbers used in Canada) to be normal. As I said before, what you need to see is trends over time to see if the remaining kidney is holding it's own or getting tired.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I found out that I had been blessed with 2 kidneys that were the size of a preemie baby and not fully functioning. I found out that I was in serious t...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.