Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
kidney vascular calcification
peggysw posted:
I get UTIs regularly, every 3 months or so. I felt I had passed a kidney stone in my right kidney. The doctor had me get an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys. The results showed possible non-obstructive stones in my left kidney, the right was clear. I then went for x-rays of the left kidney. The x-ray showed no stones. Possible vascular calcification. Would someone help me understand what that means. I didn't hear much of what the doctor said after the vascular calcification. Does it have something to do with my heart?

john-skpt responded:
Vascular calcification can (and often does) occur anywhere in the body. Obviously the body requires calcium, phosphorus and numerous other minerals to function, but in some cases, metabolic changes can cause one or more of these elements to deposit in tissue where it really doesn't belong.

In the case of veins and arteries, calcification somewhat 'stiffens' the arteries and eventually might make the heart work harder since the arteries aren't as 'stretchy' as they once were.

While this is not DIRECTLY related to renal stones, if both conditions are present, there might be a single thing at the root of both.

It is possible for x-ray to not see certain types of renal stones, but these radiolucent stones are fairly rare. Calcium-based compounds make up most stones.

I have no ideas as to where to start looking, but getting your primary doc to look over a set of fairly complete blood levels might be good. That way he might get a hint as to what is going on with the calcium/phosphate balance.

An_252608 replied to john-skpt's response:
7/5/13

John, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It is now July and I have an appointment with my primary doctor for 7/9. I'm hoping this will set me in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your reply to my query.

I'll keep you up on my progress, if you don't mind.

Sincerely, Peggy

Spotlight: Member Stories

i have just been diagnosed with kidney disease(Interstitial Nephritis)i also suffer from CFS/ME ,i am aged 50yrs work as a support worker part time,go...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.