Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Dialysis
kay0922 posted:
One more question..Wouldn't you think my Nephroligist would talk to me about Dialysis with a creat of 2.78? It's been hanging in the 2.4-2.7..for several years..It went up to 3.2 at one time but came back down.

mrscora01 responded:
Every clinic is different. My nephrologists office sends patients for teaching when they reach 3.5. There is a 2 half day program that teaches about all the modalities and diet and lifestyle issues. Given where your creatinine is right now, it's probably too early as it will most likely be many years before you require dialysis and if you get teaching now, it will probably be out of date by then.

While I delayed too long, my creatinine was about 10 before I went on dialysis.

Cora

kay0922 replied to mrscora01's response:
Do you mind if i ask you how old you were when you had your transplant? Karen

mrscora01 replied to kay0922's response:
I had just turned 39 when I got my new kidney. I had started with protein in my urine when I was 14 and started noticing higher creatinine when I was about 29 or so and went on dialysis when I was 38.

Cora

kay0922 replied to mrscora01's response:
You must have been really young in 66 to have Type 1 diabetes..

mrscora01 replied to kay0922's response:
I was a bit over 2 years old. In a way, I think that was easier than getting at an older age like 10 or in my teens. I never knew any different.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.