Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
ESRD
webmale posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with End Stage Kidney Disease. In doing online research to better understand how to deal with this, I came accross a site which invited me to speak with a medical professional (online-chat) to get FREE advice about my condition. A chat window pops up to offer assistance. I entered a brief description of what I'm going thru. The person on the other end asked for my email address to send me pertinent information. They, also, offered their phone number/email address. I did not recognize the region/area code for their phone number, so I asked. I was told the phone number is from China, and that the person works for a major Kidney Care facility in that country.

The info they provided seems legit. I was asked for specific lab info to help them assess just where I am physically, so they could speak specifically to my situation.

I'm hesitant to give additional info until I can get some comfort of their legitimacy. Has anyone else encountered this site?

mrscora01 responded:
As my husband always says, on the internet, no one knows you are a dog. How do you know that there is a legitimate doc on the other end? It could be someone trolling for into with a medical textbook or access to google.

If you are in ESRD you should have your own nephrologist team to tell you what is going on. What option of dialysis have you chosen? Do you have someone who can donate a kidney?

Sorry, but internet medicine is a dangerous thing. We can give you some personal info given our experiences if you have question.

Cora

john-skpt responded:
There have been a LOT of attempts to post messages with links to some alleged "kidney disease center" in China; fortunately the moderators have taken a look at them and deleted them with due speed.

I would be VERY, VERY careful about providing ANY personal info at all to an unknown person working for an unknown agency in some unknown part of somewhere that is not in the US.

Never agree to send them any money. Once they see that you are in the grasp of scammers and they never let go easily. You'll be pestered and even threatened day and night to cough up more cash.

There are no miracle cures in renal disease. Just opportunists trying to take advantage of anybody in a perilous position.

webmale replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you for your input. It confirms my gut feeling.

webmale replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you for your feedback.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have PKD. I have a lemon size bulge by my right lower rib. It is a deep feeling pain. After a Ultrasound, CT scan and MRI, I am told I have blood se...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.