Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Stage 3 CKD?
dcbob posted:
I was hospitalized in March for 18 days. acute alcoholic hepatitis. 10 days into my stay, creat hit 4.3...drs were going to start dialysis the next day. next day, creat was down to 3.8...no dialysis. 4 days after the 4.3 reading, it was down to 1.4. I went home the next day. 3 weeks after hospital discharge (4/11), I see nephrologist. He tells me kidneys would work fine in anyone else, but due to my liver problems, creat will not get much below 1.4 and kidneys will not function optimally. He tells me to get a GP and gives me a "referral sheet" for the GP that states I have Stage 3 CKD. Nephrologist tells me to come see him in about 2 months (6/17). In the meantime, I have blood work done on 5/7. Creat. - 1.08. BUN - 10. GFR - 77. I question the GP as to why the nephrologist would write that I have Stage 3 CKD considering my "numbers". GP tells me, basically, your guess is as good as mine...the numbers look great. Any drs out there who could tell me why a nephrologiost would say I had Stage 3 CKD with these blood numbers? Any Stage 3 peopple out there? What arer your numbers like? Thanks for any info.

John-SKPT responded:
The stage 3 judgement was likely based on the higher creatinine levels, rather than the 1.1 mg/ml numbers.

Chronic dehydration ALWAYS elevated serum creatinine: kidneys are happiest when they have lots of fluid in the system to work with. And chronic infections like hepatitis affect funtion.

However I would never categorize this as truly "chronic" renal failure (the C in CKD); it is acute or at least transient renal disease. Had this been genuinely "chronic" there would not have been such a rapid and full resolution of the numbers

Spotlight: Member Stories

before birth my gr grandson was Dx with grade 5 reflux bilaterally since then he has had 2 VCUG and renal scans he is 19 months old now and no improve...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.