Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Knee Replacement
vickit805 posted:
My mother is 81 and has been in stage four for 3 1/2 years. She needs to have a knee replacement but her nephrologist doesn't sound very encouraging. He says it is up to her but the anesthesia could make her worse. Has anyone dealt with this? Thanks for any comments.

mrscora01 responded:
Some of it does depend on luck. I had a couple of anasthetics while in that stage of kidney disease. They were very careful to keep me hydrated before and after and I had no effects on my kidneys. But it can happen. So you Mom will have to decide if the comfort from the knee replacement is worth the risk of maybe being pushed onto dialysis. Has she made plans already? It might be the time to decide what to do, just in case.

Cora

vickit805 replied to mrscora01's response:
She is pretty stubborn and says she will not go on dialysis. We did look into the home dialysis. Thanks for your response.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

Support group for Kidney Disease.
Hi Everyone, I was diagnosed with Medullary Sponge Kidney 8 years ago.. recently I had joined a support group that has been great and I am ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.