Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
kidneys normal levels of functioning
tammytoler posted:
have a husband who is in the hospital and the doctor told him that his kidneys are not working right . they are only working at 2.3 i need to know what the normal is . and can not find anything . he has all the signs of kidney failure and i am very worried . never been thru this before . any information would be apperciated greatly .

john-skpt responded:
The definition of "normal" tends to vary a bit with each patient, age, general health, cardiovascular health, medications, weight, etc.

You can look at blood test numbers, for example "creatinine". That number in healthy people is generally lower than about 1.2 or 1.3 mg.dL. (or 105 to 110. µmol per L.)

Another number frequently seen on lab tests is eGFR, and that should generally be 60 or higher. A few points under 60 is not worrisome but if the eGFR is showing something in the 40s or lower, medical attention is required very soon.

Again, these are sort of "ideal" numbers for young, healthy people, and it is not uncommon to see slight variations as people age or develop other health conditions.

Maybe if you could quote a few lab numbers here we can get a better idea of what is going on. The patient's approximate age, height and weight might help also.

Better still. get the doctor on the case to offer you some specific advice about his condition and what to do next.

john-skpt responded:
I just read your note again, and IF the 2.3 number that you refer t is the serum creatinine number, then that needs to be LOWER. Instead of 2.3 mg/dL it should ideally be down around 1.3 mg/dL. (Showing the units of measure attached to a bare number always helps interpret what is meant.)

If that 2.3 refers to something else, then I haven't any guesses what it might signify.

ladonna212 replied to john-skpt's response:
My mother is 74 years old and has a creatinine level of 2.9 and has been told her kidneys are small and only functioning about 20%. She shows no signs of kidney disease like edema or HTN. They are now running tests on hormones and Vitamin D levels. Any ideas of what could be going on?

john-skpt replied to ladonna212's response:
Without more testing it is hard to guess. The fact that she has no overt symptoms is encouraging, but generally, physical manifestations of renal disease don't show up until things are fairly advanced.

So with that in mind, I'd take the blood test numbers seriously until more tests give you a good answer. (My serum creatinine was up in the 3.5-4.0 range before I started feeling lousy, and the onset of symptoms was not sudden. It crept up over decades, and I just got used to things and kept going until the situation got severe. The better approach is to be proactive and start treating small things early, rather than to wait for a crisis to hit.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

before birth my gr grandson was Dx with grade 5 reflux bilaterally since then he has had 2 VCUG and renal scans he is 19 months old now and no improve...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.