Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Antacids
Anon_12802 posted:
Is there a safe antacid with Kidney Disease?

mrscora01 responded:
You need to talk to your nephrologist as to what is and is not safe for you to take. I took a lot of tums because of phosphorus issues so I never needed an additional antacid.

Cora

kay0922 replied to mrscora01's response:
If you don't mind my asking, what stage were you at when you took the tums? I talked to my Nephroligist abuot over the counter antacid, he said prilosec. When you look at the pecautions Kidney disease is one of them so i'm afraid to take it. I'm at stage 4

mrscora01 replied to kay0922's response:
To be honest, they hadn't adopted the "stages" yet when I was at that point. I think my creatinine was probably around 300 (about 3.5) when I needed the calcium from the tums.

I am never 100% convinced of how much these things will actually affect a kidney. I suspect that part of the issue is that it hasn't been extensively studied yet. I always trusted my neph that a drug wouldn't hurt me (at least not too much). Sometimes it's a necessary trade off. I used to take a bit of Advil when I had my periods due to monster pain. It wasn't good for my kidney, but I couldn't function otherwise.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.