Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Lupus Nephritis
mmanz27 posted:
My husband has lupus nephritis and was just hospitalized with kidney failure which caused fluid around the heart.anyone here with an answer for me? Doctors said he will start Dialysis in the morning. But I'm worried about the fluid and him getting depressed

john-skpt responded:
The basic reason for the renal failure probabluy was this: any time that the blood supply to the kidneys is reduced, then they begin to lose their ability to function. Kidney need a constant and massive supply of blood. When the cardiac function was impaired, the kidneys suffered. (Of course, kidneys that fail for any other reason can cause fluid to accumulate. So it is hard to guess which one happened first.)

Depression is often a serious factor in renal disease, even for young patients with healthy hearts. Dialysis can represent a loss of independence, a loss of control. You need to be alert for signs of depression, and don't hesitate to get some professional help if it starts to show up.

I found myself a psychiatrist when I was on dialysis, and it helped a bit. But I did not like the drugs that he gave, and so I told him that I'd have to manage things on my own. You might be better with a psychologist or with group therapy at a renal failure group. It all depends on the severity of depression and mostly on the personality of the individual patient.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.