Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
New to this disease
jseekief posted:
I am 40 years old and male and have been diagnosed with kidney disease and I am very scared about this due to the fact I have two kids a loving wife and I don't want to lose them. I am afraid what this will do. I'm in stage 2 neph says my function is 75-80% however he also said according to your blood work it says 65% I don't get that. I have hematuria and recently proteinuria it was at 900 grams then started fish oils and recently went down to 611 this was in September of this year going back in January for my normal check ups which were usually every 3 months. Please any serious advice or just talking to me would help at this point.

Thanks Joe in Michigan

john-skpt responded:
Renal disease can progress at vastly different rates, it can stabilize for long periods of time, but it is hard to guess without tracking progress over a substantial span of time. There are also dozens of different underlying causes.

The ultimate goal is to slow or stop the progression, and the best way to do that is to determine the precise cause and then to treat that condition. (High blood pressure and diabetes are the two most common causes in the US, but it could be a lot of different things, often more than one single condition.)

There is a LOT of stuff to learn, more than anybody can take in or make sense of in a few hours. So try to get a grip on the situation, don't panic, and work with your nephrologist to develop a proactive plan for managing your health.

You are somewhat fortunate to catch this early on; you have a large reserve of residual renal function. So there is a better than average chance that with careful management, you may never need really drastic treatment like dialysis or transplant, or at least that these options can be pushed back for decades into the future.

If you want to offer any more details about your case, we might be able to focus this a bit more. But no two patients, even with similar lab numbers and similar causes, are exactly alike. Every case is an individual matter.

jseekief replied to john-skpt's response:
I seriously do appreciate your honest answer. I went to my physical back in november of this year. You have to do a urine sample and so I did. when it was at the end of my physical they did a urine dip and said it looks like only a trace of protein now. I was 900 then went down to 611 in september of this year and now this. I dont know how true this is. I am seeing my neph in January. will update then.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.